For starters, Neil Gaiman's latest novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, is what I'd recommend for almost anyone this year. Readers of all ages (or listeners, if you get the audiobook) can enjoy this wonderful story about memory, and magic, and family.
For our Christmas gift to each other this year, my husband and I bought some art to hang in our newly-remodeled master bathroom. While Peter Jackson's Hobbit is sure to be a hit in theaters, we prefer the simplicity of this visual representation of Tolkien's novel, found in TeacupPiranha's shop on Etsy.
The words are the lyrics to the dwarven song "Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold." The shop also has many retro-style travel posters for places in Middle Earth, Westeros, and the Star Wars universe.
What else have we found? I'm so glad you asked!
- A "Sher-locked" iPhone or iPod case (Society6)
- Wonder Woman slipper boots, complete with capes! (Hot Topic)
- A dress that makes you look like the TARDIS (I'm not sure if this is ridiculous or awesome--or maybe a little of both) (Her Universe)
- Game of Thrones direwolf bookends (HBO)
- While I wasn't a huge fan of the Under the Dome TV show, I do think the presentation of this collector's DVD set is pretty awesome--especially for fans of the show! (Amazon)
- A shower curtain and bath mat that will turn your bathroom into the Star Trek transporter room (ThinkGeek)
- Etsy has a lot of really cool things, if you're willing to spend some time digging around and have an idea in mind of what you might be looking for. This Star Wars poster in the style of a spaghetti Western and these glowing lightsaber earrings are just two of the cool things you can find. (Etsy)
- Speaking of Star Wars, if you have a really good friend you need to buy for, or you just won the lottery, you could get the original Han Solo blaster for only $200,000.
- Katniss's jacket from the Hunger Games is both stylish and practical. (ThinkGeek)
By Jen Miller